9:00 - 17:00

Our Opening Hours Mon. - Fri.

0800 1300 513

Book Your Consultation




How to take a claim to a small claims court

What can be resolved as a small claim?
Premier Advocates > Legal Advice  > How to take a claim to a small claims court

How to take a claim to a small claims court

What can be resolved as a small claim?

If you’re owed money from an individual or business and the usual complaints and letters have gotten you nowhere, the next step could be the small claims court. You can make claim for up to £10,000 in the small claims court, and compared to other court processes, it’s low hassle and could help you secure your money.

What can be resolved as a small claim?

A small claims court deals with simple cases that can be resolved quickly, usually in less than a day. The claim you’re making must not exceed £10,000 but it can cover a range of different areas, including:

  • Compensation for faulty goods – This could include high ticket items such as televisions or washing machines breaking.
  • Compensation for poor services provided – If you’ve brought a service, such as using a garage or builder and they provided poor quality work you may be able to claim compensation.
  • Dispute with employer or customer – In some cases disputes with an employer or client can be resolved with a small claim, such as if they owe you wages.
  • Landlord and tenant disputes – Rent arrears and compensation for failing to maintain the building are issues that could be taken to a small claims court as part of a dispute between tenants and landlords.

There are time limits on when you can take action but this varies depending on your issue. If you believe you have a claim you need to be aware of the limitations, speaking to a professional and experienced adviser can give you a better understanding of there you stand and how long you have to act.

How to make a small court claim

If you want to take a claim to court it can be a simple process that you can start online.

  • If you’re claiming for a specified amount of money you can make your claim online here. Or, if you’re claiming for an unspecified amount, you can fill in claim form N1 and send it to the County Court Money Claims Centre. When you make a claim, you will be required to pay a court fee.
  • If the person or business that owes you money disputes the claim you may have to attend a court hearing.
  • If your case is successful, then the court can order the defendant to pay if they admit culpability but then don’t pay or don’t respond to the claim you have made.